Monday, August 13, 2007

Rip Van Roche

We have returned to the present, where we travel through lovely Hempstead to arrive in Hofstra University. Not much has changed about any of this area. In East Meadow, the businesses of the past have been replaced by new ones. My wife and I ate at the palatial Empress Diner. On the other side of the Meadowbrook Parkway, Hempstead is looking a little unhappy.

Hofstra is a suburban college that looks like the 1970's idea of a science fiction city. Non-descript concrete structures abound. Most things look the same everywhere, including the distinctions among towns - Uniondale, East Meadow, Hempstead. I do not know how to tell.

I was very happy to be there. A little too happy, maybe. I spoke with my Mom yesterday about one of her godchildren who is now a successful published writer. "Well," she said, "she's the kind of person who stays home and works. You drive two and a half hours away to see the Jets train." Correct. Guilty as charged.

No comments: