Tuesday, July 22, 2008

No Old NY Jets Loyalty Goes Unpunished

My brother just informed me that his friend's Dad - a Jets fan going back to the days of Shea Stadium - has just received the bill for his PSL:

$40,000.

Can that be? Is that even possible? I guess I was naive enough to believe that it would only go as high as $20,000, but even then I'm not sure I would spend that much money on anything, other than a home, which would cost me much, much more anyway. I would buy a used car with good gas mileage. I would pay forty grand for my non-existent child's college education, as long as a cheaper alternative were absolutely impossible. I would pay the medical bills had no other choice but to pay. I would pay for my parents' geriatric care, hoping through it all that my parents had remained as financially careful toward the end as they have always been all their lives. But I don't really have anything near that kind money to give to my football team, or to anyone or anything else. And, frankly, I wouldn't. Unless he has a home to sell, how could this guy possibly pay for it without mounting a Sisyphean hill of debt?

I have to say. This business of the PSL's has gone from being yet another callous commercial reality to being outrightly exploitative and depraved.

No comments: